1745 Full Time Sous Chef
Posted on: April 20, 2017
This position is second in command over the culinary and stewarding departments and is responsible for purchasing, receiving, and producing food items in the facility in the absence of the Executive Chef. The Sous Chef is responsible for the training of all kitchen personnel.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ordering, receiving and preparing food items.
- Maintaining food costs and budget goals.
- Produce required product according to Banquet Event Orders for each event.
- Maintains an active role in local hospitality community and professional associations.
- Attend in-house event-related meetings and relays immediate changes with other departments.
- Inventory controls.
- Responsible for Kitchen in absence of Executive Chef.
- Assists with monthly inventory.
- Provide the highest customer service excellence.
- Ensure all Savor F&B policies and procedures are followed.
- Required to speak and understand basic English well enough to converse with customers, supervisors, and employees.
- Maintain a cooperative, team-like attitude in working with supervisors and fellow employees (including other departments).
- Enforce all sanitation procedures including safety guidelines and OSHA requirements.
- Organize equipment for an event as well as clean and maintain equipment during and after functions.
- Make sure all storerooms are clean, organized and secured.
- Follow all designated opening and closing procedures to ensure areas are secure and energy efficient.
- Follows all rules and regulations which apply to the food and beverage operations and to SMG Food and Beverage Division.
- Perform any reasonable requests assigned by management for staffing and performance needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- General supervision of all cooking staff.
- Training of all new cooking staff.
- Ability to be creative with food presentations and maintain a quality product.
- Must be able to work independently with little or no supervision.
- Excellent organizational, planning, communication and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to undertake and complete multiple tasks.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patron and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines. Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Be licensed and insured to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
Minimum Education & Experience
- Certificate from accredited culinary school, college or technical school
- 3 or more years of hands on experience
- 1 or more years of Kitchen/culinary supervisory experience
- Operate a personal computer using Windows, Office and other standard office equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision for quality control of food services. Must be able to withstand loud noise in the environment.
- Ability to work in both inside and outside environmental conditions
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- This position requires stooping and lifting, substantial walking and manual dexterity. Must be able to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work in an area where high heat may be used for cooking or cleaning purposes.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.