BOK CENTER STILL UNSTOPPABLE HEADING INTO YEAR EIGHT
(Tulsa, Okla.) July 21, 2015 – BOK Center, managed by SMG, wrapped up its fiscal year on June 30, 2015 and the numbers show that it was the busiest twelve months in arena history.
Over the past year, BOK Center welcomed a record 810,208 fans and hosted 12 of the Top 30 worldwide tours according to Pollstar Magazine (and 3 of the top 5 tours in the world.)
“It is not typical for an arena to break an attendance record 7 years into its operation. For the majority of new venues, this occurs during the initial honeymoon phase over the first couple years. We are so fortunate to be part of a community that supports this venue not only by purchasing tickets, but also through sponsorships, premium seating licenses and season ticket commitments for our sports tenants,” stated Jeff Nickler, SMG general manager of BOK Center.
Bob Roux, Co-President of North America Concerts for Live Nation, the world’s top concert promoter echoed this sentiment. “Like BOK Center, Live Nation has also truly enjoyed our successes in Tulsa over this past year, in particular with Luke Bryan, One Direction and RUSH.” He mentioned the importance of the relationships the promoter has with venue management and added that he “considers it a true privilege to work with the entire team there when we are able to bring our concerts into the marketplace.”
Highlights from the past year at BOK Center include:
- The arena’s most requested artist, Garth Brooks, celebrated a two-week residency at the arena and welcomed over 120,000 fans for seven sold-out concerts. The streets around the venue were temporarily renamed in his honor as Low Places Lane, Rodeo Drive, Thunder Rolls Road, and Shameless Blvd. which captured the attention of national media including The Today Showand County Music Television (CMT).
- Iconic pop band One Direction (#1 Billboard Magazine artist of 2014) played a sold-out BOK Center. The concert in Tulsa was the ONLY arena show on the boy band’s North American stadium tour.
- Legendary rockers RUSH rehearsed for 10 days in Tulsa and kicked off their “R40 LIVE 40thAnniversary Tour” at BOK Center. RUSH fans from across the country made the pilgrimage to Oklahoma to watch the opening night of the blockbuster tour.
- The Oklahoma City Thunder enjoyed their 3rd consecutive sell-out crowd at BOK Center for a rowdy pre-season game versus the Minnesota Timberwolves.
- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers’ “Hypnotic Eye Tour” delighted classic rock fans of all ages.
- Tulsa hosted its first nationally televised UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships) event since 1994.
- Pop princess Katy Perry (#2 Billboard Magazine artist of 2014) had fans on their feet and the decibel levels through the roof for the majority of her sold-out show.
- BOK Center was honored with its seventh consecutive nomination from the Academy of Country Music as “Arena of the Year”
Other major acts to play our venue this past year included:
- Mötley Crüe
- Def Leppard
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Black Keys
- Pearl Jam
- Eric Church
- One Republic
- Brantley Gilbert
- Jason Aldean
- Michael Buble
- Luke Bryan
- Ed Sheeran
In addition to concerts and ticketed events, SMG continues to develop a large portfolio of owned and operated special events. These community-focused celebrations like Arvest Winterfest, Rib Crib’s Rock ‘n Rib Festival, Dodgebrawl, Wingapalooza, Red Dirt Round-Up, and the High School Hoops Showcase were created with two purposes in mind- to fill dark days days at the venue and to provide more opportunities for families to visit BOK Center who otherwise may not be able to afford the price of a concert ticket (or even admission to an Oilers or Shock game). This past fiscal year, these SMG-produced special events welcomed over a quarter of a million visitors to Downtown Tulsa and added 60+ days of activity to our arena calendar.